The Infomaniac's Classroom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Infomaniac's Classroom

Welcome! C'mon in!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A project I'm working on.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
atariangamer
Roamer
atariangamer

Bricks Placed : 11

A project I'm working on. Empty
PostSubject: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 1:19 am

A project I'm working on. 6fGvv

Call it whatever you will, but I"m in the process of hand porting the Island over to the Source engine (a form of BSP map).
I'm not planning on making it a Lego Island mod (due to animation and model issues, as well as it just being plain hard to code something that complex.

Also, because I'm hand porting and not really straight porting, size differences are going to be an issue. However, using a rather high res image of the Island Map (the prerendered one, not the in-game one), I've been sizing the map to compare the buggy to the HL2 Jeep. The result is a decent sized map thats easy to drive around on, leaves lots of room to just mess around in, and will be a total nostalgic blast to anyone who stumbles across it.

Just thought I'd post a picture here, but I'm planning on (once I make a bit more progress with at least the road system) making a video to show how the size is comparable. Walking around takes ALOT longer, but driving around is fairly fast and easy. I think just increasing the walk speed of the player would help that.

NOW. If anyone has textures pulled (or even better, can make good versions of similar textures), I'd gladly use them. Otherwise, I'm planning on modernizing it just a tad. Stuff like blending the roadways into the grass, or smoothing out the hills a bit. If I could smooth out the roads I'd do it, but its a tad hard because I'm honestly not the world's best mapper. I've got a friend who might be able to help me make it look 'nice', but otherwise its going to be a VERY rough map.

If anyone is interested in helping (especially with mapping or possibly getting me some exact dimensions), I'd appreciate it. In fact, that's what I'm really looking for. If anyone could get me legnths of roads and points of height and ramps between them and stuff in comparison to a common unit (be it player size, buggy size, or something else), I'd love it. I'm currently using a bubble gum wrapper's notches in comparison to the map on my screen, but as I get further away from the focal point (the beach), it gets less accurate, and the map loses the detail like distinguishing between slopes and flats.

And if anyone is good with modeling and has the source SDK, models of the game buildings would be cool, though I think we'd need to get (again) better measurements of the island.

Oh well, lemme know what's what.

EDIT: I figure I'll stick this here, but also: The music. I'm pretty sure some of it sounds like a Roland JV-1080, so if anyone has one (or knows how to get one), maybe we can get some better sounding music tracks. Mostly the Michael Blakemen tracks, but that's the theme song covered. Now, it won't have the yells and LE-GO sounds, but it should have the drum kit, heavy bass, and possibly the scratches featured so prominently in the setup menu.
Back to top Go down
Mys
Infomaniac

Bricks Placed : 129

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptyTue Jul 05, 2011 8:20 pm

I thought of LI as a source map a while ago. I'm glad you're doing this, it saves me from ever doing so in the future. :P
Back to top Go down
http://s3.zetaboards.com/Lighthouse_of_Yoshi/profile/4101850/
MrEightThreeOne
Islander
MrEightThreeOne

Bricks Placed : 34

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 5:49 pm

This could get interesting. I'd like to see this continue.
Back to top Go down
Mys
Infomaniac

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 9:28 pm

So how's the progress on this anyway?
Back to top Go down
atariangamer
Roamer
atariangamer

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 3:41 pm

Information Center

I'll have to apologize about the lack of updates, but as of that post....nothing happened. I asked someone about the dimensions as when I started trying to link some more stuff together, and he said he had a blocked out version of lego island's roads. (that is, breaking it into its standard plate sizes)

I never got those dimensions, and after I couldn't make it work, I stopped for awhile. Then college said hello. and I lost the original source file in a hard drive failure just before college, so my main focus was getting my computer ready for that, and LI became...forgotten.

I just RANDOMLY got into a discussion about Source, Hammer, and the SDK right recently, and what was the first thing in my head but "OH NO LEGO ISLAND".

So. Yeah...I'd be up for trying it again. I've got a nicer, faster computer, and now that I'm settled in at college, I got some free time. But I still need a better map of Lego Island, and possibly some height measurements. If anyone can provide me with these, I'll be up for trying again. The only thing that's got me worried is the buildings...Its hard doing even slight precision stuff in source, and my favorite tool of choice (carve) was just introduced as a VERY BAD THING in mapping. So it takes even longer to make those nice shapes that I'd need. What would be useful is some models (which is what the originals were anyway) that don't have to be too complicated. Even just VERY low poly things with textures would be better than nothing...but before that, I need some dimensions.

IDK if anything could do that, but help would be appreciated...

sorry that I haven't shown up more often than this.

-Atari
Back to top Go down
MrEightThreeOne
Islander
MrEightThreeOne

Bricks Placed : 34

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 7:04 pm

That's a pity. Maybe some more progress might show up. This looks like it could have gotten very interesting.
Back to top Go down
atariangamer
Roamer
atariangamer

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 10:09 am

I'd so be for trying again, I just need some help with the road lengths.
Back to top Go down
Gyfalson
Roamer
Gyfalson

Bricks Placed : 12

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 10:57 am

Bam.

A project I'm working on. Img_2510
Back to top Go down
Mys
Infomaniac

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 6:23 pm

How the brick bucket did you do that?
Back to top Go down
Gyfalson
Roamer
Gyfalson

Bricks Placed : 12

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptyThu Nov 24, 2011 7:52 am

Lair did it. I think he changed where the player would go if they entered a certain room, but I can't remember exactly.
Back to top Go down
RobberBaron
Roamer
RobberBaron

Bricks Placed : 3

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 7:51 am

Any news on this?
Back to top Go down
Mys
Infomaniac

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 4:49 pm

I was hoping there would be, but unfortunately not.
Back to top Go down
RobberBaron
Roamer
RobberBaron

Bricks Placed : 3

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 6:53 pm

Ah, ok
Back to top Go down
atariangamer
Roamer
atariangamer

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 10:31 am

Sorry for so long with lack of progress, guys. I've been messing around with it some more, but never getting something quite right enough...

I have been getting a little quicker with mapping, though (and learning how NOT to use the carve tool), but I've been at work this whole summer, and unable to get much of any of my projects done.

I've got a very nice school schedule, though, so I'll take another go at it and even if I don't get super far, I'll put the source file up. Maybe someone with a little more time and patience could smooth out the details.
Back to top Go down
Mys
Infomaniac

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 1:14 pm

atariangamer wrote:
Maybe someone with a little more time and patience could smooth out the details.
If it should come to this, I could probably do that, though I kinda had enough LI modeling for one year. I 1/2 did one in Sketchup for Mario Kart Wii, and just finished making one for Minecraft.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A project I'm working on.   A project I'm working on. Empty

Back to top Go down

A project I'm working on.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1