The Infomaniac's Classroom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Infomaniac's Classroom

Welcome! C'mon in!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Incomplete game?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jamesster
Roamer
jamesster

Bricks Placed : 29

Incomplete game? Empty
PostSubject: Incomplete game?   Incomplete game? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 12:26 pm

There's a lot of stuff that seems to say that LEGO Island 2 for PC and PS1 were somewhat incomplete, and had a lot of content cut out. First, the file names. The data archives of LI2 (.bob/.bod file pairs) are all numbered, the higher the number, the later the scene appears in the game. However, several numbers are skipped over, indicating scenes/worlds/minigames were removed. Here are the scene file names:

z01BPK (Skate park)
z02LGI (LEGO Island)
z03PPH (Pepper's House)
z04IFC (Information Center)
z05WAB (Whack-A-Bot)
[Missing]
[Missing]
z07CSI (Castle Island)
z08BKD (Brick Dive)
z09JST (Joust)
z10RGB (Raging Bull)
[Missing]
[Missing]
z13CAI (Adventurers Island in helicopter)
z14OSD (Main desert area)
z15SSH (Snake Pursuit)
z16PYA (Pyramid Area)
z17WAS (Whack-A-Snake)
z18MMP (Matching Mummies)
[Missing]
z20DSP (Desert Speedster)
z21FSH (Fishing)
z22BIP (Biplane)
z23DIP (Jungle area with native's camp)
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
z27TRX (T-Rex Racing)
z28HAT (Mr Hate's Camp)
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
z36CNT (Centrifuge)
[Missing]
z38PAR (Parachute Training)
z39ASB (Asteroid Belt)
z40aPO (Parachute onto Ogel)
z40OGL (Ogel Island, note that it uses z40 as well... Strange.)
z41MAP (Make-A-D-Pizza)
z42BRP (Brickster's Palace)
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
z50LTC (Secret Cave)
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
[Missing]
z60FRE (Main Menu)

As you can see, there's a heck of a lot of removed stuff. Legomoe, the person who made the program to extract the LEGO Island 2 data archives, found this in the .exe:

z00FRE
z01BPK
z03PPH
z04IFC
z05WAB
z08BKD
z09JST
z10RGB
z15SSH
z17WAS
z18MMP
z20DSP
z21FSH
z22BIP
z27TRX
z28HAT
z29PAI
z30PLI
z36CNT
z38PAR
z39ASB
z40APO
z41MAP
z42BRP
z50LTC
z90ADV
z90CAS
z90DIP
z90OGL
z90OSD
z90PSX
z90PYA
z91PSX
z92PSX
z93PSX

Now, these don't match up with the actual data archives perfectly, but they do tell us that scenes 29 and 30 (missing in the final game) were z29PAI and z30PLI, giving us a hint as to what their names were. Now, I would like you to watch this video:

So, there's a heck of a lot of unused sound clips too. You had to deliver pages to their locations (not in the PC and PS1 versions, but in the GBA version), BricksterBot combat was... Well, different. Looks like Pepper's hat device (called the Holomaniac in IXS) was meant to be built from the BricksterBot pieces, and the mouse would have been used to pick up the heads. The Radio you got from DJ Jackitt was battery powered, and instead of destroying BricksterBots it made them follow you. Mama and Papa were meant to appear on Ogel Island after Make-A-D-Pizza. Mr Hates and Cedric were meant to appear in the Asteroid Belt, shooting lasers at you, and it also seems they were meant to be fought at the end of the game as well.

Now, on Wes's website, I noticed a piece of the LI2 script. I opened it, and saw this:

Incomplete game? Unused_script

This cutscene/minigame isn't in the final game for PC or PS1. There's a minigame in the GBA version that involves beating drums at the camp, however. It seems rather odd that, after you beat Mr Hates on Adventurer's Island, the gate to the tribal camp opens, yet there's nothing there but a gem to grab. So, unused script segment + pointless camp in-game + camp serving a purpose in the GBA game = minigame removed from the PC/PS1 version. Now, speaking of unused or pointless areas, take a look at this:

Incomplete game? 6-2010-05-05-15-12-39

I noticed that last year and posted it on several forums. The door to the tomb never opens, so you can't normally get in there. However, with Legomoe's file extractor/rebuilder and a few modifications, Segatendo was able to get inside:

The question is, what was this designed for, and why was it blocked off before release? There's a missing scene number in that desert area (the game skips from 18, Matching Mummies, to 20, Desert Speedster, 19 is missing). Was a minigame planned here at one point?

I've mentioned the GBA version of the game many times, and there's a good reason. The GBA version contains a lot of minigames and such that aren't in the PC version, and I'm willing to bet that those minigames were planned for PC/PS1 versions at one point but were removed last minute, leading to the missing data archive files. Here's a list of minigames in the GBA game:

Apple Grapple
Hoop Hoop Hurray
Skate Park
Train Trouble
Whack-A-Bot
Matching Mummies
T-Rex Racing
Bongo!
Brick Dive
Flan Fling
Joust
Brickster Bash
Brickster's Tower
Jet Lander
Pizza Panic
Asteroid Belt
Ogel Sneak
Ogel Skeak 2

They don't come in the game in quite that order, but that's all of them, anyways. I'm gonna compare the GBA minigames not in the PC/PS1 versions with the missing data archives later, to see if they match up in any way.

Then, there are the trading cards. In the GBA and GBC versions of LEGO Island 2, you can pick up cards with pictures of the game characters on them, but this isn't in the PC/PS1 versions. It is, however, in Island Xtreme Stunts for PC and PS2.

There's also a ton of stuff in the GBC version that isn't even in the PC, PS1, or GBA versions, the biggest difference being the addition of an underground pirate cave segment:

So, it looks like there was a lot of stuff planned for LEGO Island 2 that never made the cut in the final game, at least for the PC/PS1 versions. If somebody knows any more about this, could they please post? Wes, would you happen to know anything about stuff that never made it into the final release? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
wes
Former Classmate of the Infomaniac
wes

Bricks Placed : 1

Incomplete game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incomplete game?   Incomplete game? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 1:33 pm

Hello- Most of the mssing items were for several reasons-
1>memory (in those days) was contributing factor)
2>It was produced in London but with outside developers
3>in the newest trend, being to blame someone- there was a certain manager...(name withheld to protect the guilty) but the producer was a great guy who had to struggle to get anything in despite the adminstration manager guy)
4> I only revised, endhanced and rewrote the script but I was quite Legotized and the manager (see above) thought the product needed new blood, as it were.
5> What else? oh- programmer error and not enough time.

Mostly there became an increasing attitude- "hurry up and ship it so we can make money." The dedicated creative people soon left. I went into the hospital. It's my personal cynical belief that the industry started to see what sold last month and then copy it...but I'm disapointed in the idustry now but I know it'll change. There's historic concept called the social pendulum where culture, art creativity in genearl swings back and forth. I anticpate a Renaissance of sorts to reappear where ideas are unique and production is detailed and follwed through....man, this one wordy comment and it's simply one man's opinion on what and where did the missing pieces go.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesdotcom.com
jamesster
Roamer
jamesster

Bricks Placed : 29

Incomplete game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incomplete game?   Incomplete game? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 2:00 pm

Wow... It's really quite a pity what happened to the game. I like the concepts in it (like traveling to different islands), but it lacks polish in programming, just doesn't feel complete. And I guess in many ways it is... Well, it may not be perfect, but I know I had a ton of fun with it as a kid. Yeah, there are some technical problems (mainly glitches, especially with controlling Pepper), but there's a lot of fun stuff too. Not a perfect game, but still fun.
Back to top Go down
addictgamer
Islander
addictgamer

Bricks Placed : 32

Incomplete game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incomplete game?   Incomplete game? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 3:05 pm

I never realized so much had been cut out when I first played through the game.
Now that you guys mention it, a lot is missing! Too bad so many problems interfered, I enjoyed this game.
Back to top Go down
MrEightThreeOne
Islander
MrEightThreeOne

Bricks Placed : 34

Incomplete game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incomplete game?   Incomplete game? EmptyMon Apr 25, 2011 6:31 pm

Yeah, I'm in agreement with jamesster here. I grew up more on the inferior PSX adaptation (because my parents were cheapskates and wouldn't buy me a good computer until 2005), but I still loved it as a kid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Incomplete game? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Incomplete game?   Incomplete game? Empty

Back to top Go down

Incomplete game?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1